6 Surprising Benefits of Rye
Rye is a crop that shows up in so many of our products today. Secale cereale is the scientific name of rye. From an agricultural point of view Rye is really similar to wheat and barley, therefore has many of the same applications. It is used as food for animal livestock, also is used for the base of whiskey as well as for different types of bread and rolled rye grain. Rye grass can be grown easily even in nutrient-poor soils. Unlike wheat, rye grows well in dry and cold climate. Rye classes averaged 150 cm high with colors ranging from yellowish brown to grayish green. However, the good number of health benefits that come with rye consumption makes a pretty good reason for adding rye to your diet!
Nutritional Value of Rye
Without a doubt, the health benefits of rye which are related to adding rye to your diet are the consequence of the nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and organic compounds that are contained within rye. A few of the most important nutrients contained in Rye are manganese, copper, magnesium, phosphorous, B-complex vitamins, dietary fiber, and phenolic antioxidant compounds.
• Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Health Benefits Of Rye
1. Promotes Weight Loss. Rye is known as the numero uno grain for assisting in weight loss efforts. The type of fiber that is present in rye helps make a person feel full sooner than other grains. This eliminates the problem that lots of people have with diets, hunger, overeating and so on. By minimizing your appetite, the desire to eat more food is reduced, resulting in less caloric intake and causing greater potential weight loss.
2. Helps Digestion. As mentioned briefly in the weight loss section, Rye is loaded with good amount of fiber which also assists with the digestion process. The fiber loosens up the blockage and removes gas and discomfort caused by digestion issues.
3. Blood Pressure. Like with nearly all grains, rye is known to be heart-healthy. For everybody who is suffering from high blood pressure or atherosclerosis, adding rye to your diet on a regular basis is just as good, if not better for heart health as other cereal grains/grasses. These effects are the consequence of several factors, including fiber, vitamin, and mineral content.
4. Respiratory Health. The truth is that childhood asthma is frequently overlooked as a health epidemic that needs to be cured but isn’t, rye can considerably reduce the chances of developing childhood asthma. One research that was conducted at several schools showed that those children who regularly had grains, like for example, rye, in their diet, were more than 60% less likely to develop childhood asthma compared to those children who didn’t have grains in their diet.
5. Metabolic Performance. Research done at the University of Kuopio reveal that Rye can result in the down-regulating of genes, especially if they are damaging or harmful, like those that can cause insulin or some other chronic genes. When compared with other grains in the same family, rye seems to be the best at optimizing the metabolic performance of our cells, even at the earliest stages of gene development.
6. Natural Anti-Cancerous Agent. The fiber in rye binds with the toxins in the colon and flushes out those harmful ingredients outside of the human body. With that, it defends the colon cells from coming under the attack of cancer. 1/3 cup of rye offers over 1/3 of daily recommended dose of fiber. The antioxidants – phenolics – also, help in scavenging the free radicals that normally cause oxidative stress and trigger cancer. So, therefore, rye can be used to keep cancer away from you.
Some Words of Caution. So, in case you are allergic to gluten and are suffering from conditions like celiac sprue or gluten-sensitive enteropathies, then it would be wise to exclude rye from your diet plan. Simply because Rye is loaded with a good amount of fiber, excess intake of it may cause gas problems and bloating.http://healthyfoodmaster.com/6-surprising-benefits-of-rye/Cereals and LegumesB vitamins,fiber,heart,Iron,Magnesium,Potassium,weight loss