8 Health Benefits Of Mangosteen That Make It A Super Fruit
Mangosteen is a tropical evergreen tree believed to have originated in the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas of Indonesia. It is now grown in other Asian countries and some African countries. Unrelated to the mango despite its name, the mangosteen fruit has a hard dark rind and tastes like a citrus fruit with the texture of a peach. Mangosteen has always been popular in Southeast Asia, but it also gaining popularity around the world and is now commonly sold as a health supplement. Like any other fruits, mangosteen also will bring you a lot of benefits. Do you know the exact benefits of mangosteen? Here we provide you about the various greatness that you will get when you’re deciding to eat the mangosteen.
Nutritional Value Of Mangosteen
Mangosteen is low in calories and has no saturated fats or cholesterol. It is high in dietary fiber, an excellent source of vitamins A and Vitamin C, and a fair source of B-complex vitamins such as thiamine, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, riboflavin. It additionally contains an excellent amount of minerals like calcium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc. Mangosteen has phytonutrients such as carotene-A, carotene-beta, and cryptoxanthin-beta.
Health Benefits Of Mangosteen
1. Healthy Skin. Mangosteen is useful for maintaining healthy skin. The anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-allergy and anti-oxidant properties help in reducing the risk of various conditions like for example skin inflammation, skin aging, eczema, allergies and bacterial infections. Research studies have been performed to determine the various benefits of mangosteen for skin and one such type of study suggests that mangosteen has anti-skin cancer properties and has the potential of being an anti-skin cancer agent.
2. Promotes Red Blood Cells. Do you have any idea that the mangosteen could be beneficial to the production of the amount of the red blood cell production? Well, for sure that the mangosteen will promote the better red blood cells which without a doubt would protect your body from numerous diseases related to the blood deficiency for instance anemia. Additionally, the assistance with the production of the red blood cells will improve the quality of the blood flow in the body therefore, we can have less chance of having cholesterol, stroke, and heart disease.
3. Diarrhea and Dysentery. Consumption of mangosteen is beneficial in stomach disorders as well. The mangosteen pericarp and peel are very effective in providing relief from stomach disorders like for example diarrhea and dysentery.
4. Contributes To Weight Loss. This fruit can be effective for weight loss when made a part of the regular diet. Besides the anti-inflammation, mangosteens have high water and fiber content, which make you feel full quickly and with less food. And because the fiber needs a long time to get digested, you won’t feel a craving for food for a long period. Mangosteens also prevent body weight gain by restricting pancreatic lipase and α-amylase activities, which are common causes of obesity.
5. Healthy Immune System. Mangosteen is abundant with various nutrients, minerals, vitamins and xanthone that really help in boosting the immune system. All of these nutrients protect the body from numerous health ailments that weaken the immune system.
6. Prevents And Treats Diabetes. People with diabetes are usually more susceptible to other conditions like infection and have a weakened immune system. Mangosteen not just boosts your immunity but also reduces blood cholesterol levels in the body. According to one animal study, a compound of xanthones could fight diabetes by decreasing insulin resistance. And by reducing body weight gain, mangosteen also reduces the risk of diabetes and other related conditions.
7. Prevent Tuberculosis. One other excellent benefit from this fruit that you can get. So, as already mentioned above, the mangosteen possesses an anti-bacteria and anti-fungal characteristics which would undoubtedly protect your body from the disease triggered by bacteria like tuberculosis and thus, it will boost your immune system too.
8. Regulates Blood Pressure and Heart Rate. Mangosteen also possesses high amounts of minerals such as copper, manganese, and magnesium. Potassium provides protection against strokes and coronary heart diseases as it is an important component of cell and body fluids and controls heart rate and blood pressure.
Nutritional value of Mangosteen (canned, syrup pack).