Get Your Healthy Lifestyle Back On Track After Vacation
While summer is a good time to relax, recharge, connect with family and friends, and explore new cultures and destinations, we often find ourselves indulging with food and drinks and skipping on exercise. Knowing that our waist line has expanded puts us in a panic mode or regret that throws away all the fun time we had.
Here are tips on how to get back to your healthy routine of good food and exercise, so you can remember the good times without regret.
1. Start with baby steps. It becomes overwhelming when you put a task too hard to accomplish, so breaking it up into small parts can help make it easier to complete. For example, instead of planning to restart exercise five days a week for an hour each time, start by three days a week for a half hour each and then build upon it.
2. Rehydrate your body. Water is the key to get your metabolism to work properly and help get rid of toxins. It also gives the skin the glow it needs and protects it from chaffing in this heat. We need about eight glasses of water a day or two liters minimum, as requirements increase in exercise and heat.
3. Load up on fruits and vegetables. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that help fight free radicals that damage the various cells. Fruits and vegetables also keep a healthy digestive tract and nourish your hair and nails after being beaten up by the sun.
4. Stay away from meat for few days. Add on more vegetarian options like beans, lentils and various grains like millet and quinoa to your daily meals. Don’t forget to get fish often as it’s high in omega-3 oil that protects cell membranes.
5. Take care of your emotional and mental health. Even though you just arrived from vacation, sometimes the toll of family duties and running around from place to place could leave your body and mind drained. Get a body treatment like a massage or a scrub that can help relieve some of the stress, or do some yoga or meditation to help you clear your mind and recharge your energy.
6. Get seven to eight hours of sleep daily. Good sleep helps your brain function properly and prepares you for the daily tasks that include making the right decisions in your daily life. One of those decisions is making healthy food choices and controlling portions.
Below you can find a recipe for an energizing nutritious drink that helps boost your mood.
Ingredients (220 kcals)
• 1 cup blueberries
• ½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
• 1/3c sliced cooked beets
• ¼ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
• ¼ cup fresh orange juice
• 1 teaspoon honey
Put all ingredients in a blender and add ice cubes as needed, blend at high speed and enjoy.