6 Benefits of Dulse – Improve your Overall Health and Wellness
Dulse (Palmaria palmate) is a kind of edible seaweed that is found growing in the cool waters on the northern coasts of the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Dulse is red in color and has a spicy, salty flavor. Fresh dulse from the sea can be eaten as such or you can buy sun dried from the local health food stores. It is also available in the flake or powder form. This seaweed is really yummy supplement to add to your cooking like soups, salads, sandwiches, chowders. Not only is Dulse a flavor enhancer, but is rich in nutrients that enhance your health as well.
Nutritional value of Dulse
Dulse is completely fat-free and low in carbohydrates. Moreover, it contains many important minerals and vitamins including Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Iron, Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin A.
Like most seaweed, dulse is a very rich source of natural iodine which is necessary for proper thyroid function.
The wealth of nutrients makes this a very good food to add to your diet, so let’s take a closer look at the many health benefits of dulse.
Health Benefits Of Dulse
1. Build Strong Bones. Dulce is an excellent source of numerous minerals that have a vital function in bone strength and development. Calcium, iron, and magnesium are all known to promote bone health and strength.
Osteoporosis is a serious concern for everyone as we age and making sure you get plenty of dietary calcium can protect our bones from degeneration and weakness. Not only do these minerals promote healthier bones but they also aid to protect the joints and connective tissues letting you stay stronger and more active for longer.
Aging is unavoidable but the truth is you can do plenty to reduce the effects and prolong your health by eating mineral rich foods like dulse.
2. Improve Vision. The high levels of vitamin A present in dulse make it a perfect solution for vision problems. Vitamin A acts as an antioxidant and prevents free radicals from damaging the tissues of the eye and causing macular degeneration. Vitamin A can also slow the development of cataracts, acting as an all-around vision booster.
3. Boost Immune System. In the list of the benefits of dulse, boosting your immune system should be mentioned, too. And when you keep your immune system in working order, vitamin C is considered as the easiest and the most readily way to do that. Moreover, you can easily find out a lot of vitamin C in Dulse. That can help your body to increase the white blood cell count as well as contribute to the repair and growth through the important role of vitamin C in producing collagen. Besides that, Vitamin C is also known as a good way in caring your skin.
4. Digestive Aid. Just like seaweed, dulse is very high in dietary fiber, which means that adding it to one’s diet helps to regulate digestive processes, particularly for folks suffering from constipation or diarrhea. The dietary fiber bulks up the stool and stimulates peristaltic motion, while also reducing inflammation and symptoms like bloating and cramping.
5. Boost Your Energy Levels. Studies suggest that dulse is a great source of energy which is why it should be included in your daily diet. Seaweeds, such as dulse have significant amounts of vitamins and minerals that help to prevent tiredness, fatigue, nerve damage, and memory loss.
6. Antioxidant Support. Plenty of the minerals and vitamins present in dulse, both alone and in conjunction, offer a huge amount of antioxidant support against free radicals. This means greater preventing of chronic disease and cancer prevention for those enjoying this miraculously nutritious and delicious plant!
Some Words of Caution: The only component of dulse with potential dangers contained in it is iodine because consuming too much can be toxic and upset your thyroid gland as much as having too little. Therefore, as with all things, consume dulse moderately, and speak about any major dietary changes with an expert, medical professional or dietitian.https://healthyfoodmaster.com/6-benefits-dulse/General Healthantioxidants,Energy,health,healthy diet