7 Surprising Health Benefits of Kola Nut
The kola nut is a caffeine-rich nut that belongs to the cocoa family and is native to Africa, as well as being widely available in Central and South America. The kola nut can grow up to 2 inches long and looks like a chestnut, with its brown-colored shell. At first bite, kola nuts are bitter at the taste but sweeter when chewed. Despite its slightly bitter taste, its medicinal benefits have begun to make it a well-known dietary supplement for health. Kola nut can be found in energy drinks, dietary supplements, and performance enhancers. Here are some of the health benefits of this excellent nut.
1. Metabolism Booster. One among the unique effects of the kola nut, mostly due to its caffeine content, is its capability to stimulate the body and increase heart rate. While this could possibly be dangerous for those who suffer from pre-existing heart conditions, it can provide a necessary metabolic boost for the people with slow metabolisms. This can basically optimize heart health, as caffeine can be a health stimulant in reasonable doses. Additionally, this helps the metabolism optimize itself, which has an array of positive enzymatic and physiological effects on the body.
2. Digestion. For a very long time, kola nuts have been chewed or consumed simply by native cultures in Africa both in ceremonies and in the management of digestive upset. The active ingredients of the kola nut are able to improve digestion as well as nutrient uptake, whilst decreasing bowel problem, bloating, cramping, along with other, more severe, gastrointestinal issues.
3. Immune System Health. Kola nut works as a reliable ingredient when it comes to strengthening our immune system. It possesses nice antioxidant properties, which guard our internal system against free radical damages and makes it healthier. Furthermore, it has antimicrobial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory qualities, which enhance our immunity and keep us disease-free.
4. Weight Loss Optimization. Despite the fact that caffeine has long been known as a hunger controller to a certain degree, kola nut extracts have also been linked with increased fat-burning in the body, maybe due to the positive effect on the metabolism that these important nuts can have. This can be a perfect choice for those people that are wishing to lose weight with improving the quality of their diet.
5. Cures Prostate Cancer. Despite that research is yet in its early stages and is still a matter of debate in some circles, A few of the phytoestrogens and phytoandrogens present in kola nuts have the ability to stimulate apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. This line of study is relatively new, but applications for other types of cancerous cells are also being explored.
6. Improves Blood Circulation. Caffeine, theobromine, as well as kolanin can stimulate the heart rate, thus increasing circulation. This effect may help boost oxygenation to some parts of the body such as the skin, organs, and brain. Greater oxygen levels in the brain are actually linked with improved concentrating and higher cognition. Additionally chewing this nut is believed to amplify the circulation of blood throughout the genital area, which makes hard arteries softer and normalizes the functions of genitals.
7. Eases Osteoarthritis in Knees. Osteoarthritis, especially developed in knees, might be healed to a large extent with the aid of kola nut. Regular intake of this nut can diminish pain, inflammation, and swelling in the knee joints. It can also enhance the movement of knees significantly.
Some Words of Caution: The significant amount of caffeine present in kola nut extracts and supplements can be a risk for individuals who already are afflicted by high blood pressure or a sensitivity to caffeine. Unwanted side effects include shaky hands, upset stomach, and insomnia because caffeine is a very good stimulant. Seek advice from a medical professional before adding kola nut into your diet on a regular base.