Healing your Brain with Frankincense Essential Oil
Inhaling essential oils not only has healing effects in your body, it affects the brain’s healing capacity. Perhaps the most brain-healing oil is Frankincense. Frankincense essential oil is made from the bark of the tree.
Here’s what it can do:
• Frankincense can distinguish between healthy and cancerous bladder cells and decreases the viability of the abnormal cells.
• Injected frankincense solution provides neuroprotective effects on laboratory animals after stroke. It has the ability to protect neurons, reduce brain cell death, and increase antioxidant activity to promote healing.
• Shows efficacy in the treatment of some autoimmune conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and bronchial asthma due to its potent anti-inflammatory properties.
• Significantly reduces cerebral edema (swelling) in post-radiation brain tumor patients.
• When injected, frankincense improves learning ability and cognitive function after epileptic seizure damage.
• Anti-inflammatories in frankincense effectively heal lesions caused by atherosclerosis, with implications for chronic inflammatory diseases.
There are few studies on the aromatherapy effects of frankincense, as science is just catching up with this ancient wisdom.
A 2015 study found that nasal delivery of frankincense increased its efficacy and impact on the brain. Brain damage suffered after stroke was more effectively treated by the plant’s compounds when inhaled. (20)
Frankincense contains terpenes called sesquiterpenes that are known to increase brain activity and oxygenation. The Biophysical Human Research Institute has performed several aromatherapy studies on neurological disorders, resulting in significant positive effects.
Additionally, a combination of essential oils that included frankincense was used to moderate Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder behaviors in a group of children aged 6-12 years. Over the course of 30 days, “The inhalation of the oils proved to settle the brainwaves back into normal patterns and improved their scholastic performance and behavioral patterns.”